Christmas Conversation Starters: A Clean Heart
Posted by Karah
CONNECTION POINT: The Bible tells of God’s plan for salvation through Jesus.
THE BIBLE MEETS LIFE: Manuals, how-to books, and online videos abound to teach us any number of techniques and skills. When it comes to what really matters—living life—only one source will give us all we truly need: God’s Word. The Bible gives us the answers we need for the moment. As we read His instruction, God will also guide us to understand His Word.
Concept: A Clean Heart
Luke 1:26-56; Matthew 1:18-24
LIFE POINT: Mary was a young woman who obeyed God and lived in Nazareth. God sent the angel Gabriel to talk to her. The angel said, “Do not be afraid. God chose you to have a special baby boy, God’s Son.” He told her people had waited for this baby since Isaiah wrote about God’s plan. Mary said, “I will obey God.” Mary was going to marry Joseph, who also obeyed God. As Joseph was sleeping, God sent an angel to him in a dream. The angel told Joseph, “Do not be afraid to marry Mary. Her baby is God’s Son. You will name Him Jesus. He will love people and teach them about God.” Joseph remembered the dream when he woke up. He did as the angel commanded. Joseph married Mary. They waited for the special baby, Jesus, to be born.
LIVE IT OUT: Talk with your child about ways her parents care for her. Remind her that Mary and Joseph were chosen to be Jesus’ earthly parents and care for Him. Pray, thanking God for His plan for parents.
Luke 1:26-56; Matthew 1:18-24
LIFE POINT: One day, the angel Gabriel came to Mary. Mary was frightened. Gabriel said, “Don’t be afraid. God is pleased with you. You will have a son. Name him Jesus.” Gabriel said, “Your baby will be God’s Son. Your relative Elizabeth is old, but she will also have a baby. Nothing is impossible for God.” Joseph was engaged to Mary. Joseph knew he was not the father of Mary’s baby. Joseph decided not to marry Mary. As Joseph slept, an angel came to him. The angel said, “Joseph, don’t be afraid to marry Mary. Her baby is from God. Name the baby Jesus because He will be the Savior.” Joseph got up. He obeyed the angel. He married Mary. When Mary had the special baby, Joseph and Mary named Him Jesus.
LIVE IT OUT: God knows families are important. God provided an earthly family for Jesus through Mary and Joseph. They were included in God’s plan for Jesus to be the Savior. Celebrate with your family this Christmas season.
THE POINT: God’s Word teaches us everything we need to live fully.
• What’s the difference between having something and treasuring it?
• When has an encounter with God’s Word impacted you?
• What would help you engage with Scripture in a more meaningful way?
• How can we position ourselves to be transformed, rather than just informed, by God’s Word?
Discuss the following quote:
“God’s Word must be so strongly fixed in our minds that it becomes the dominant influence in our thoughts, our attitudes, and our actions.”¹— Jerry Bridges
LIVE IT OUT: Encourage your student to take practical steps to take his or her faith and Live It Out. Here are some ways you can encourage your students to live out their faith with Christ personally, in community, and in their culture:
• CHRIST: Spend time this week reading through Scripture with your student. Highlight passages that contain truths for your daily life.
• COMMUNITY: Join your student in Bible study this week and hold each other accountable for making time in God’s Word.
• CULTURE: Discuss the top three things you focus on each day with your student. Then help your student to determine his or her daily focuses. If God’s Word is not among the top, consider ways to make it a priority in your lives.
¹. “25 Jerry Bridges Quotes,” Christian Quotes [online], [accessed 1 May 2016]. Available from the