Conversation Starters: I Am Just Passing Through
Posted by Karah
THE BIBLE MEETS LIFE: We all have a place we call home; it shows up on legal documents as our place of residence. Even though we may live there all our lives, that place is temporary for the follower of Christ. We have a permanent, eternal home in Christ. While we have obligations related to our current residence, we can live our lives in such a way to remind ourselves and others that we have a greater home in Christ.
Concept: I Am Just Passing Through
LIFE POINT: Jesus told His disciples to go to the other side of the lake in a boat. Then Jesus went up the mountain to pray. After many hours, the boat was far from land. A strong wind was blowing the boat. Jesus came to His disciples, walking on the water. When the disciples saw Him, they were afraid. Jesus spoke to them and said, “Do not be afraid.” Peter said, “Jesus, if it really is You, let me walk to You on the water.” Jesus replied, “Come.” Peter began to walk on the water to Jesus. When Peter saw the wind blowing the water, he became afraid. Peter began to sink. He cried out for Jesus to help him. Jesus took Peter’s hand. Jesus and Peter got into the boat, and the wind stopped blowing. Jesus’ disciples were amazed. “It is true. He is God’s Son,” they said.
LIVE IT OUT: Does your child imitate you? Have you heard your words coming out of her mouth? Imitation is one of the ways children learn. Talk with your child about some of the things Jesus did. Ask her how she could do some things like Jesus.
LIFE POINT: Many people were following Jesus. He went up on the mountain to pray. Jesus asked the disciples to get on a boat and go across the water. After dark, the boat was far from the land. The wind was blowing and waves hit the boat. Jesus came to the boat, walking on the water. The disciples saw Jesus and were afraid. They thought they were seeing a ghost. Jesus called to them to be brave and not to be afraid. Peter looked at Jesus and asked if he could come out on the water. Jesus told Peter to come to Him. Peter started walking on the water, but when Peter saw the storm, he began to sink. Peter yelled for Jesus’ help. Jesus caught Peter. Jesus asked the boat began worshiping Jesus.
LIVE IT OUT: Talk with your child about some of his favorite Bible stories about Jesus. Discuss what Jesus was teaching through these stories about following Him and how people should live. Remind your child that, as Christians, we should strive to be like Jesus.
1 Peter 2:11-17
THE POINT: Our lives in this world should reflect our eternal home.
• What place feels most like home to you?
• What does it look like for Christ-followers to live as strangers and exiles in our culture today?
• How can we navigate the tension between submitting to earthly authorities and submitting to God?
• What does it mean to be a slave to God yet live in freedom? Discuss the following quote:
“My home is in Heaven. I’m just traveling through this world.”(1)—Billy Graham
LIVE IT OUT: Encourage your student to take practical steps to take his or her faith and Live It Out. Here are some ways you can encourage your students to live out their faith with Christ personally, in community, and in their culture:
• CHRIST: Our freedom was bought by Jesus in order for us to serve and glorify Him. Evaluate how you have been successful in this and how you have failed. Discuss with your student ways you an express thanks for your freedom from sin.
• COMMUNITY: Consider ways you can use your freedom to serve Jesus by helping someone in your community.
• CULTURE: We all fail sometimes to live as Jesus would. Discuss this concept with your student and create a list of ways you can deal with failure and glorify God.
(1)Billy Graham, “Billy Graham > Quotes > Quotable Quote,” Goodreads [online], [accessed 25 May 2017]. Available from the Internet: http://ww.goodreads.com/quotes/370772-my-home-is-in-heaven-i-mjusttraveling-through-this